First day of school
On the day your child begins school and the first day of the new school year please bring the following:
- 1 packet of thick crayons
- 1 packet of thick pencil crayons
- 2 packs of wetwipes
- 1 box of tissues
- 1 bottle of sunblock
- 1 glue stick
- 1 A4 ream of whitepaper
Please pack a backpack for your child on a daily basis including the following:
- A Sunhat (which will stay at school)
- A change of clothing
- A Healthy Snack in a labelled lunch box (Please no junk food or juice)
- Water in a labelled water bottle
- A Plastic bag for any dirty/wet clothing
Tips for Tear free Goodbyes:
- Reintroduce the teacher to your child. Allow them to form an initial relationship. Make it clear that you trust the teacher and are at ease with her watching your child.
- When it's time to go, make sure to say good-bye to your child. Never sneak out. As tempting as it may be, leaving without saying good-bye to your child risks her trust in you.
- Once you say good-bye, leave promptly. A long farewell scene might only serve to reinforce a child's sense that preschool is a bad place.
- Express your ease with leaving. Some parents wave from outside the classroom window or make a funny good-bye face.
- Don't linger. The longer you stay, the harder it is. Let your child know that you'll be there to pick her up, and say "See you later!" once she's gotten involved in an activity.
- Learn the other kids' names. When you can call your child's classmates by name ("Look, Matthew, there is a space at the train table with Eli and Katie"), it makes school seem much more familiar and safe.